Are you a child of the 1980s? Do you love going to the movies but find you don’t enjoy the summer movies as much as you used to? Were movies really better back then, or is it more a matter of maturity that makes today’s movies, especially those released in the summer, look bad in comparison? I’m sure it’s a little bit of both. As an experiment, I plan to recreate a summer movie season from my childhood and see how the movies stack up today. What effect does nostalgia have on my reaction to certain movies? And what about the more mature movies I never saw?
Here’s how it will work. Each weekend, I’ll post a new entry summarizing the movies that came out the same weekend in the past. Due to time constraints, I won’t be able to re-watch every single movie. Plus, there are some I don’t feel all that inclined to revisit. (Do I really need to watch European Vacation again?)
I’m going to begin with the summer of 1985. I was 14 years old, the perfect age for spending way too much time at the movie theater watching special-effects laden movies and enjoying my usual large popcorn, cherry Coke and a bag of Skittles. A wide variety of movies were released that year. There were blockbusters like Rambo 2 and Back to the Future, box-office bombs like The Black Cauldron and Return to Oz (both Disney films) and movies aimed at adults like Prizzi’s Honor and Pale Rider.
Memorial Day Weekend is coming soon. Are you ready to go Back to the 80s?
No comments:
Post a Comment